Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Onion Harvesting

I don't know if it is the correct time of year to be harvesting onions but the vegetable garden was a disaster zone so Mr Bee gave it a good clear out.
These onions were two different varieties that were supposed to grow over autumn and winter. While they did grow there wasn't really much action until the warmer weather arrived.


We harvested five kilograms of onions but only three sad little garlic :(

We have tried growing garlic before with varied success. I think we will give it one more try and if it doesn't work this time we won't bother again. Does anyone have any tips for growing garlic in the UK?

The onions won't fit in the fridge so they are gracing my benchtop at the moment. I think I will have to come up with a few onion recipes tout de suite!

1 comment:

  1. Chop the onions finely and freeze them. They are perfect for stir fries and casseroles.
    Never had much success with garlic, I was told once to grow them with Roses but unsure why.....
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete