Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book - Food Rules: An Eater's Manual


This book buying is becoming an addiction. This book is a wonderfully entertaining read. Michael Pollan's book 'Food Rules: An Eater's Manuel espouses 64 food rules based around his basic principle of 'Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.' (photographed here amongst my Sylvac collection)

He has divided the rules into three sections; What should I eat?, What kind of food should I eat?, How should I eat?. Under most of the rules is a paragraph or two expanding the rule's basic concept. Many of the rules are common sense and obvious (once you have read them that is) but sometimes having the obvious written down for you makes it more real and noteworthy.

Some of my personal favourites are:

* Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does.
* The whiter the bread the sooner you'll be dead.
* If it came from a plant eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't.

One rule we are going to adopt immediately is to 'treat meat as a flavouring or a special occasion food.' We usually eat two vegetarian meals per week and five meat meals. I am going to swap this around and aim for five vegetarian meals and two meat meals.

Much of the information I have been reading on the Internet about simple ways to help the planet (and in doing so, yourselves) list cutting down on the amount of meat you consume high up on their 'to do' list.

I had better get the cook books out and see what I can come up with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment