Monday, March 23, 2009

Aunty Nancy’s Zucchini Slice

What are we having for dinner tonight? Let’s take a look.

Aunty Nancy’s Zucchini Slice

3-4 medium to large zucchini (I still don’t call them courgettes)
1 medium onion
4 rashers of bacon
1 cup (approximately 200g) grated cheese – I use mature as this is what I prefer
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted (This is very important or you will get lumps of flour in the mix)
½ cup oil (this amount is in the original recipe from my Aunty but I usually just use a ¼ cup as a ½ cup seems a little excessive)
5 eggs, lightly beaten

Grease a 16x26cm tin or oven proof glass dish. Pre-heat the oven to 180*C. Grate the unpeeled zucchini, coarsely. Finely chop the onion and bacon and fry them until lightly brown. Combine all the ingredients and season to taste. Pour into your prepared dish/tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until brown.

Don’t forget the twice broken egg rule I have mentioned in previous recipes. ALWAYS break your eggs in a separate cup before adding it to whatever you are cooking; do this one egg at a time, pouring them into the other dish, in this case for whisking. BEWARE OF THE ROTTEN EGG! Once you have had one you will NEVER forget the smell!

This is a very quick dish to make, it maybe takes 15 minutes in the preparation. It is nice served with a simple salad with your favourite dressing.

I can hear you asking ‘Why does my bacon look sort of frosty and rolled?’ Well I cheat and cook my bacon from frozen when I am running low on time. If you do this you will need to cook it for a little longer as it releases more liquid and you will need to fry this off or it won’t start to brown. Hey I’m a Mum not a superstar chef!!

I roll my bacon before freezing it and stack it vertically in a container. Just make sure your container is taller than the width of the bacon or the lid won’t close and if you do manage to jam it shut your bacon will be all smooshed and will be harder to prise apart (I hope I’m explaining this properly. I'm understanding when I reread it, I just hope you can!). The rolled bacon is much easier to take apart piece by piece than trying to reef a piece of bacon off the top of another one; half of it breaks off, you bend your knife, you take out an eye, slice off half your nose, you get the idea:P


I have just realised there are rather a lot of exclamation points in this recipe. Here are a few more for good measure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. This will turn out far better if cooked to ‘The best of Hot Chocolate’, sung very loudly and dancing around the kitchen in a fashion which warrants much eye rolling from your children.!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gillian, can't wait to try this recipie. Loved the lentil soup and absolutely adore the Pumpkin Salad, had it last night for dinner with a little lamb, mint and pea pie that I had made, delicious.

    ReplyDelete