Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rhubarb Cobbler

Rhubarb has appeared on alot of Hedge Vege stalls at the moment. It looks so lovely with its ruby red stems that it tempted me to buy some and try my hand at cooking with it.

I don't tend to make too many fruit based desserts as my husband has an intense dislike for cooked fruit, so I have never made a Cobbler of any description before. I remember my Nan making baked desserts alot when I was a child and they were always homey and warming.

Rhubarb Cobbler

1kg/2lbs rhubarb
2/3 cup caster sugar

1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 plain flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 180*C. Trim the rhubarb and cut it into short pieces. I cut mine about 10cm long. Place the prepared rhubarb in a pan with the sugar and stir it over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Place the lid on and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft but still chunky.

Once the rhubarb is cooked place it into a greased oven-proof dish (my dish is about 29x18cm and holds 2 litres). Sift the flours and sugar into a bowl. Cut the softened butter into small cubes and add to the flour. You will need to rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Whisk the egg and milk together and once combined add this to the flour mixture.

Place large spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the rhubarb, being careful not to 'plop' it on or the mixture will sink into the stewed fruit. Bake it in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until the top has browned and cooked through. It is lovely dusted with icing sugar and served with cream, custard or ice-cream - or all three if you are that way inclined!

It was a very simple dessert to make and it was not too sweet. I find alot of recipes add too much sugar and you don't taste the ingredients; all you can taste is the sweetness. The rhubarb was delicious.
What a difference fresh produce makes to cooking. I could tell this rhubarb was fresh as just behind the hedge where the Hedge Vege box was positioned was the rhubarb patch it was picked from. You can not get any fresher than that. The kids like this dish so much I've gone back and bought some more rhubarb to try another fruity delight. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment